2016 (MMXVI)was a leap year starting on Friday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2016th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 16th year of the 3rd millennium, the 16th year of the 21st century, and the 7th year of the 2010s decade.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2016.|
2016 was designated as:
- September 1 – An annular solar eclipse was visible from Gabon, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Mozambique and Madagascar, and was the 39th solar eclipse of Solar Saros 135.
- September 3 – The US and China, together responsible for 40% of the world's carbon emissions, both formally join the Paris global climate agreement.
- September 8 – NASA launches OSIRIS-REx, its first asteroid sample return mission. The probe will visit Bennu and is expected to return with samples in 2023.
- September 9 – The government of North Korea conducts its fifth and reportedly biggest nuclear test. World leaders condemn the act, with South Korea calling it "maniacal recklessness".
- September 16 A penumbral lunar eclipse was visible from the extremely east of South America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Oceania, and was the 8th lunar eclipse of Lunar Saros 142.
- September 28
- International investigators conclude that Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 is shot down by a Buk missile that came from an area controlled by pro-Russian rebels.
2 levels exceed 400 ppm at the time of year normally associated with minimum levels. A 400 ppm level is believed to be higher than anything experienced in human history.
- September 30 – Two paintings by Vincent Van Gogh with a combined value of $100 million, Seascape at Scheveningen and Congregation Leaving the Reformed Church in Nuenen, are recovered after having been stolen on December 7, 2002 from the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.